Peace is a quality tagged as fruit of the Spirit. The meaning of peace is always projected as the opposite of war. But peace is the state of serenity. Peace is the serenity of mind, soul and environment. In this world living with peace requires much effort. Th Bible says, peace-makers are blessed because they disconnect discord from a situation without peace.
Peace loving is preventing the encroachment of discord. We read in Romans 12:18, that we should try to live in peace with everyone. In the sense, be alert not to disrupt the peace in a situation. This is difficulty but not impossible.
Peace-loving is the quality of heavenly wisdom. The people with wisdom from above try to guard the peace. they woud refrain from thoughts, words or deeds that distort the existing peace. The Bible says, that those who promote peace are filled with joy. (Proverbs 12:20)
We as Christians are called to make every single effort to lead a peaceful life. Because peace is necessary for us to look beyond the present situation and find a potential area for growth. Once this potential area is identified one can grow in it only if his/her life is peaceful. This peaceful life will help in the mutual edification of the family members or church or fellowship.
We can ask God to fill us with the peace-loving quality. Once we start to promote peace, we would be filled with joy. A peaceful life will help to edify both self and others.
A time bomb linked with a clock explodes on the prefixed time. Just like that, God has pre-planned your life and has attached it with His clock. At the prefixed time, God planned goodies will unfold in your life. This time is simply the best time for that particular thing to happen in your life.
We may face varied situations in life. They can be good or bad or evil or miserable or adverse. We have a God who prevails above all these situations. He has a perfect will planned for us. Although we know about God’s will, these situations can deter our belief on pthis will of God. So we should take a stand to believe on God’s will in any situation.
Let us take a decision, “Whatsoever believe in God’s will”.
God never uses an elevator to plant on the roof top of a skyscraper. If God’s will for you is to scale the rooftop, He would have different ways. You might have to walk through stairs or climb using a rope or crawl like a lizard or sometimes use an elevator. His ways could be easy ones, tiring ones or even challenging ones. God expects us to go through all these. During difficult stages such as climbing a rope, discontentment could slowly creep in. What is discontentment? Discontentment is the feeling of frustration associated with displease of one’s situation in life. Today you might have to climb a rope in order to attain God’s plan for you in the coming days. Discontentment could grow due to impatience to wait for God’s plan for your life. Hope on God with contentment in each effort guides you towards God’s best plan in His perfect time.
In Romans 8:28 we read that,
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose”
This is a very common verse used by Christians. I have personally used this verse countless times in my life during good tidings. When a good thing happens we relate to this verse as a fulfilled promise. We say see God has established this verse in my life by doing this good thing for me. On the contrary, when we wait for a good thing we relate to this verse as a promise to claim. We say Lord you have promised that you would do good to those who love you. So we pray that this good thing will happen. We use this verse to acknowledge a fulfilled promise and to claim the promise when it is tagged to a good happening.
How do we use this verse when the situation in unfavorable or during a bad happening or while undergoing pain?
I have not done this personally until very recently when God unfolded this lesson before me. The two misconceptions I had and their actual meaning are given below.
- God helped me to recognize the presence of the phrase ‘in all things God works’ in this verse. All things literally include everything that happens in my life. Here we acclaim the fact that controls the situations and happenings in my life. All things obviously would include the good, the bad, the favorable, the unfavorable, the joy, the pain, the uphill and the downhill.
- The next phrase is ‘for the good of those who love him’. The good that the Bible mentions here is not the fleeting temporal good that we yearn for in this worldly life. Instead, the good is the eternal and immortal good that God has prepared for us.
God works through all things to make us look good in the eternal life. Like a sculptorp who uses his chisel to chip off each piece to stone to uncover the final statue, God use each of the situations to shape us to our future good. The prototype of the word ‘God’s good’ can be related to the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5: 23 (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control). All the situations that we undergo are worked by God for his eternal purpose. A few sample situations and their potential effect on us are given below.
- A downhill defeat would instill patience in us.
- An uphill victory would teach self-control.
- An annoying person would tutor gentleness in us.
- The good tidings implant goodness and joy.
- Bad situation pave the way to practice peace.
- The pain that we endure teaches us to forgive and forbear.
- Unfavorable situations kindle our faith.
- Being hurt might embed love and kindness in us.
God is interested to design us according to His eternal purpose. God uses situations to fashion us according to His good. So when we undergo any situation let us acknowledge the fact that God has allowed this situation on us. Also that God is using this situation to sculpt us. This understanding will help us traverse through all situations acknowledging God’s supremacy and marching towards God’s good.
In this world, we all live through some standard. The standard that drives you will influence the outcomes. So we need to be very careful about the standards that we follow. The Bible shows two kinds of standards – one is spiritual nature and the other is sinful nature. In Romans chapter eight, we read about the qualities and outcomes of these two standards.
The qualities of sinful nature are discussed below:
- Those who live according to the sinful nature fix their minds on living according to nature’s desires. Their emotions are expressed in a natural ways. (Romans 8:5)
- The mind of sinful man is death. (Romans 8:6)
- The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to law nor can it do so. (Romans 8:7)
- The people controllable sinful nature cannot please God. (Romans 8:8)
If we have any of the following criterias we ate termed to live by sinful standards. So let us search us and examine our ways. Let us pray to God to show us the areas where we need to be reshaped.
Spirit led life
Here are few steps we can follow to live a life through the Spirit.
- Spirit led life is living according to the Spirit’s desire. This means that all our actions and responses have to be in line with what the Spirit desires. For example, where we are faces with a situation threat makes us lose our temper, the Spirit led life will redirect the response and prevent getting angry.
A Spirit led person will amend his actions, words and retaliation according to Spirit’s desire
- The mind of Spirit led person is of life and peace. The minds is stress free and without confusion. Any untoward situation around you will not deter your peace and the fullness of life.
A Spirit led person would hold a clear head even amidst chaos.
- A Spirit led person always submits to the law. Be it as small as obeying the traffic lights in a deserted road.
The person led by the Spirit shows implicit obedience to the law of God
- A Spirit led person should always seek to please God and do what was right in God’s eyes. In 1 King’s 14:8, we read that David did what was good in God’s eyes. So try to please God in all your ways.
A person led by the Spirit will please God in all their ways.
Prayer: Dear God show me the areas where I live by sinful nature. Help me to identify my shortcomings and confess them. Give me the strength to mend my attitude to live by the Spirit. Grant me to grace that I will imbibe all the qualities of the Spirit led life in the near future. Lord help me to rise my standard of living to meet your spiritual standards. Help me be a blessing. Amen
The best of love dares to lay down his own life for the one he loves. My Savior died on the cross to express His love for me. The greatest gift offered to mankind is love. Jesus can be the only best example for love. Love is not a degree you attain; love is a verb. Love has to be an everyday experience like your dressing. We love to dress in a variety of colors and even in brand new ones. Most of us stand in front of the mirror to preen ourselves. We adjust according to the flaws we see in the mirror. We beautify ourselves by spending time and money. We trim our hair to style. We want us look superior than yesterday. Girls try all possible ways to improve one’s appearance better each day.
Love has to be groomed each day like dressing. Your love has to be made colorful each day. One has to make efforts to find opportunities to express love to fellow being. Love is essential for a Christian. We will come across people whom will need your love. Hence, your love has to be renewed and revived each minute.
Our love level can vary each day. Our love has to be renewed each day to express colors. Like dressing by looking at the mirror, love has to be analyzed. Each Christian has to gauge his / her love according to the love of Christ. Showing love could be any simple act. Help a blind man cross the road, fill bank form for an old woman, share a meal, giving away clothes, lending your ear to a weary soul or consoling a confused friend are acts of love. Each Christian has to wear love all day and renew it every morning. Christians have to be refilled by the love we experience from Christ. We should we cautious that our love level doesn’t drop.